The Blogalicious Social Squad Do’s and Don’ts from the Social Squad’s point of view.
This year I had the pleasure of being selected to be apart of the Blogalicious Social Squad. I thought the name itself was a no-brainer, wouldn’t you? Well, apparently we all take information into our own interpretation. With that being said some of this year’s Social Squad crew would like to give a few tid-bits to pass along for next year. First and foremost…Read the Job Description. Not a social butterfly…probably not the volunteer position you should be requesting. So without further ado, here are the 10 Commandments collectively brought to you from the Social Squad by yours truly.
I. THOU SHALT BE SOCIAL
– Seriously, I can’t believe we have to reiterate this one but, just in case a person is confused on what the SOCIAL SQUAD does, we’re the group of people who are more than happy to assist in any capacity to make the Blogalicious Experience FRIGGIN AWESOME. You must be able to pleasantly and cheerfully communicate with attendees, special guests, and each other.
” If you don’t like people this is not for you”
II. THOU SHALL BE FLEXIBLE
– There are two sides to this particular commandment
A) Being flexible and fluid because the schedule deems it necessary, this is a conference people but its not reality TV, things happen, plans change as do schedules. Be understanding, gracious, and a team player.
LEARNING SOMETHING NEW…(cue the dramatic gasp) who woulda thunk it! Let the Blogalicious Experience take you on a pathway of knowledge young grasshopper.
~ Shonda Brewer, Lyssa Turner Sahadevan, and Kendra Williams Pierson; Blogalicious5 Social Squad ~
III. THOU SHALT SMILE AT ALL TIMES
– Ok, again how in the world can you sign up for the SOCIAL SQUAD…and not SMILE? I’m confused. If you’re not smiling how can we keep the guests and attendees from feeling the same way, you are the face of Blogalicious, whether it’s at registration or as a Human Directional Aid…smile like a kid in a candy store baby
“As a Social Squad Member we are the veins that keep the conference flowing”
~ Pamela King, Blogalicious Social Squad Veteran ~
IV. THOU SHALL NOT ABUSE THE POWER OF THE FLOWER
– We all love to be recognized right? But listen, if you’re not on shift or plan to help out…Sweety take the flower off.
“ If you have your flower on be prepared to work”
~ Mandy Buckner, Blogalicious5 Social Squad~
“If you wear it…they will come”
~Tevyka Heyward, Blogaliciou5 Social Squad~
V. THOU SHALL REMEMBER WHERE THE FOOD IS AT ALL TIMES
~ Ashley Ellis-Carter, Blogalicious5 Social Squad~
– Taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of everyone else at Blogalicious, honey if you need to eat something please do so; don’t be cute or feel the need to wait until the end of the day.
GO FIND FOOD!
None of us are too busy to a point where you can’t go get yourself something to eat.
VI. THOU SHALL NOT BE GHOST ON YOUR POST
– If you happened to just be feeling the music, hopped up and said “Awww yeah this is my jaaaaam”….Imma need for you to know Jana will see you and politely remind you of where you are supposed to be.
~ Special Emphasis on this issue brought to you by Mandy Buckner, Blogalicious5 Social Squad ~
VII. THOU SHALL REMEMBER…WE HAVE SECURITY
– You are a Social Squad Member, not a crisis management officer…
Leave the drama to Joe & Jana or Pope & Associates…they’re the trained professionals. (he he)
– People who have not paid, were misinformed and may happen to be a little irate , or they just happen to show up and think we were offering treats or coffee, and swag bags for free…are no longer our problem…Ummm SECURITY!
** WARNING**, if you call security, even by accident (maybe that inner voice of yours got out before you knew what happened). THEY WILL STILL DIFUSE THE SITUATION…and even give great analogies for the future.
Example: Soo, you want to just come in and only pay for 1 session…that’s like going to a Falcon’s game and only wanting to pay for the last quarter, Sorry we don’t do that here…. Well played sir, well played.
VIII. THOU SHALL COME PREPARED TO WORK
– Remember, you will be on the floor back and forth, up and down, and sometimes you’ll get dirty. Baby doll, you can dress sensibly and still be cute.
“Thou shall come prepared to slang boxes in adequate work gear lest the wrath of Jana slayest thee!”
~ Thank You Toy Holmes, Blogalicious5 Social Squad ~
* You officially have my permission to laugh so hard you cry…If you haven’t already done so by this time *
IX. THOU SHALL BE CONSIDERATE TO OTHERS AT ALL TIMES
– Be on time for your shift, this is a big one…Jana asks that we check-in at least 10 mins before our shift starts…Sweety someone has been sitting at their station for at least 2 hrs, if it was you, wouldn’t you want to be relieved on time?
X. THOU SHALL STAY CALM
– Last but certainly not least, when faced with an issue…remember to breathe, just because someone else is having a moment doesn’t mean you have to.
“Stay Calm and Be Nice, especially when redirecting foolery that doesn’t want to be redirected”
~ Jameelah Carter, Blogalicious5 Social Squad ~
If you follow all of these tips, I promise you everything in regards to your Social Squad experience will fall right into place…No Really…It will. Talking amongst ourselves this year we were blown away by the connection and sense of family we got out of our volunteer duties. We were able to network, create a FUN environment, and show real love and appreciation to each other and everyone who was in attendance. Heck, we even received a bit of love back. It’s all worth the time spent.